Lake of the Woods Girls Hockey Bursary Program
The Lake of the Woods Girls Hockey Association has been awarding bursaries to eligible graduating players attending post-secondary education for several years.
The introduction of these bursary awards has been made possible by the wonderful community support of our Radio Bingo Program, the support of the businesses selling the bingo cards and the support of our LOWGH family volunteers. Thank you to everyone for your support this season!
- This Bursary is available to any player who has consistently been registered with Lake of the Woods Girls Hockey Association for a minimum of 7 years. (Registrar to confirm).
- Players must apply for this award by the deadline, it is not automatic upon eligibility.
- Maximum award to each player will be $1,000.00. There will be a $15,000 maximum amount to be awarded per year. This amount will be reviewed yearly by the Executive, depending on the leagues finances. In the event there is more than 15 eligible players, bursaries will be divided equally amongst all eligible applicants who apply by the deadline.
- Players must be registered in their final 3 years with the Midget division.
- Players must be committed to their team and have a good attendance record. Injury situations will be reviewed. Attendance will be confirmed by coaches.
- Players must attend a registered university, college or certified trade school in Canada or USA.
- Players must be registered and attend a post-secondary institution within 2 years of the bursary being awarded, after this time, the bursary is forfeited.
- Players must provide proof of second semester enrollment before the cheque is issued.
- Bursary awards will be presented at the secondary school graduation ceremony.
- The Bursary committee will consist of 3 members. Their decision is final, no appeals.
- The Bursary Committee reserves the right to set each individual applicants bursary award based on the above criteria and any additional factors deemed relevant during each individual assessment. (Attendance and injury time will be assessed)
In an essay format, applicants must include the following criteria;
- Name, address, phone number or contact person
- Number of years played
- Information about the school and program they are planning to attend
- A short paragraph outlining their involvement with the league, something they have learned while playing, an interesting memory or anecdote about a coach or a tournament memory.
Deadline to apply is May 1st each school year.
Applicants must submit their essay and school application to their applicable high school by the deadline to be considered. No exceptions.
Proof of second semester enrollment for the issuance of cheque should be directed to:
Lake of the Woods Girls Hockey
c/o Heather Kasprick, Past President
Click here for a printed version of the Bursary Program.